I found myself in a giddy love induced state with a pumpkin bar in one hand and Kleenex in another.
While staring at the screen waiting for the man of every ladies dreams to come out of the television and into my living room I had a startling realization. Men are not like Nick.
As every woman will admit, we all adore the typical chick flick with a grand romantic gesture that sweeps the leading lady off of her feet. I mean what’s not to like?
A handsome leading man, sentimental music, most of the time a love scene, and the guarantee that he will confess his undying love for her. It’s the perfect fairy tale, but that’s all it will be. A fairy tale.
Sadly these things don’t happen in real life and it makes a guys job harder than it has to be. Waiting on a man to live up to expectations actors in cinema deliver is unrealistic. You will always wind up disappointed.
There is such a thing as romance but it’s more low key in the real world. As someone who is happily married and been in my relationship for years let me tell you what a few of them are.
Romance to me is….
1. Coming home to dinner prepared by my husband. It could be anything. By movie standards it’s filet mignon or another expensive spread. I’d be happy with tacos.
2. Candle light. They don’t have to be the water proof ones floating in my tub. Just make sure they smell good and they can be lit anywhere in my house.
3. Netflix night, yes I said it, and you all do it. It’s like going to a movie but better, you can wear what you want too! Or nothing at all. But just spending time together is the key.
4. Writing little notes on my grocery list. I always enjoy finding a scribbled “I love you” or “you’re so sexy” next to my abbreviations for peanut butter and hot dogs. Occasionally there’s a picture too but we won’t go into detail about that here.
5. Snuggle time. This is pretty self explanatory, some days I appreciate it more than others.
6. A card or letter. Nowadays it’s more like a text message but that will do.
Anyway you want to tell me you’re thinking of me makes me a happy camper.
So that’s it. My little list of typical romantic gestures that aren’t as huge as Channing Tatum helping me to remember our life together, or Noah reading to me every day.
For the record I would never forget I married Channing and I would’ve just went with whatever life he wanted to have with me… Idiot. As far as Noah Calhoun goes, let’s just not.
Rachel McAdams needs to get it together.
I don’t know why I felt the need to write this, probably because people’s want for more, bigger, and better things in life can irritate me. It really should be simple. Like our men providing for us and our children, asking us about our day, and loving us for life, should be enough. Then finding time for the little kinds of romance.
Remember back in the day it was so easy. The men then must have done something right, take a look at your Grandparents. 🙂